How can I make sure I use my exercise equipment?

Great question! All too often people buy home equipment and end up using it as a way to hang clothes or better yet a way to collect dust!

If you want to be successful with home equipment then try some of these techniques. First, purchase something that you believe you will use. Try to avoid falling into those gimmicks that you see on TV. The results may be present but may also be a waste of time. Next, place your equipment in an area that will be seen on a daily basis, this can be in your bedroom, living room, dining room, etc. Try and post signs in visible areas that help keep you disciplined. Use a calendar as this may increase your chances of success.

Ultimately, doing something will be better than not doing something so be sure to stay active!

Jill A. Grimes, MD
Family Medicine

If you are going to invest in a piece of home exercise equipment (which is a great idea), please place it where it will get used. Treadmills, exercise bikes, and elliptical machines quickly become expensive clothes hangers if they are not set up in a user-friendly spot.

What's ideal? In front of a television -- wherever that works in your home. Listening to music or reading a book while exercising are great options, but having the ability to watch a show really seems to make the exercise time fly by.

Please do consult with your spouse. He or she may not want your lovely new elliptical machine in the center of your living room. However, if your living room is the only room with a TV, I'd try to compromise.
Some of the main reasons people buy exercise equipment and don't use it are:

• It's out in the garage, which may be too hot or too cold.
  • It got moved to a spot where it's impossible or awkward to see the TV. 
  • It's in the bedroom and it bothers your partner who is trying to sleep or it got buried under clothes and towels.

Continue Learning about Staying Motivated For Fitness & Exercise

Harnessing Your Brain Power Can Make You Stronger
In the 1970s, when psychic Uri Geller bent spoons, he claimed he did it with his mind. Then debunker James “The Amazing” Randi revealed it was really ...
What are the top five excuses for not exercising?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
The following are common excuses to avoid exercise: "I don't have time." No one does. You have to...
How can I avoid workout burnout?
Penny Ragusano, NASM Elite TrainerPenny Ragusano, NASM Elite Trainer
For physical workout burnout we need to listen to our body. Once we get going with our workouts and ...
What Is the Biggest Mistake People Make Who Are Trying to Lose Weight?