How do I overcome my barriers to exercise?

To overcome barriers to exercise you have to first become aware of what they are. People find it extremely helpful to keep a journal. For three days write down everything that gets in the way of your exercise. Monday-"a late meeting got in the way"; Tuesday-"felt like sleeping in & later in the day didn't eat"; and Wednesday-"no time." If you look at this you'll notice that there are several perceived barriers getting in the way of exercise. In your three day journal, write down how you could have dealt with each of the barriers. Monday-"workout first thing in the morning"; Tuesday-"sleep in 30 minutes versus 60 and always have food you can grab quickly"; Wednesday-"park my car further from my office or use half of my lunch break for exercise." People think they don't have control over their perceived barriers but realize through writing down their barriers and coming up with a plan for dealing with them, that they do. This gives people a sense of control over what happens in their life. Once you become aware of your barriers, then you can better manage it.

Continue Learning about Staying Motivated For Fitness & Exercise

How can I exercise if I don’t like the gym?
Sadie LincolnSadie Lincoln
There are many forms of exercise that can be done outside a gym. From the very basics of walking, jo...
What are some advantages of group exercise?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
Many of us find that exercising is easier in a group setting. If this describes you, the camaraderie...
How can I avoid workout burnout?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
The best way to avoid workout burnout is to change up your routine, set new goals and try new fitnes...
How can exercising with a friend or partner be helpful?
Tanya ZuckerbrotTanya Zuckerbrot
Registered Dietitian Tanya Zuckerbrot explains how exercising with a friend or partner can be help...