How can I get motivated to exercise?

What matters to you in life? Just constantly think about what matters to you in life, and set a small goal of 10 minutes of exercise in the morning and evening and then do those everyday while thinking about what matters.

Motivation comes in many forms. For me, I want to be able to play with my kids and their kids and their kids until my last breath.

I think motivation for all comes in the form of hope. Hope that tomorrow will be better than today, Hope that you can make a difference in someone else's life. What I do know is without your health, so if nothing else use that as your motivator.

Today is a great day to get better!

According to Freedictionary.com motivation is "a desire to do; interest or drive. Inspiration is divine guidance or influence exerted directly on the mind and soul." To be sufficiently inspired or motivated comes from a clear understanding of why you want to reach a goal. Getting clear on the reasons "why" can provide the fuel to get you to a goal when you are exhausted and things seem most bleak. Finding others who have accomplished a similar goal might help to give you that extra push as well.  You can find success stories online. Being involved with a group of people who are trying to reach the same goal at the same time as you can be helpful too. The support of a group, be it small or large, can help you follow through. Also, many of the most successful people on the planet have had coaches to help them along the way. Coaches can help to; figure out what to do, develop clarity for goals and motivation, provide encouragement and set benchmarks to reach smaller goals on the path success.
To develop your motivation to exercise, invite a family member or friend to exercise with you on a regular basis. You can also join an exercise group or class in your community. Remember all of the benefits that come with being physically active. Make a plan so you decide when you will do each type of activity. Be sure to set realistic goals and make a plan so you know what you are working toward.
Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
Hire a personal trainer to motivate you, give you lots of encouragement, and schedule proper workouts for you. Call your local Y for referrals or check in the yellow pages of your phone book. You’ll need to interview several to find the right person, and consider paying for three months as you get into the exercise habit. Make sure your trainer has at least a bachelor's degree in exercise science or a related health-science discipline, experience, and a certification from an internationally recognized organization like the American College of Sports Medicine, the American Council on Exercise, and the National Strength and Conditioning Association. You’ll be surprised at how much progress you’ll make, and the trainer will make sure you stick with your required regimen for weight loss.
Motivation to exercise can be hard to come by at times, and that is completely normal. Regardless of your fitness goal, results take time. In our world of instant gratification, it is easy to have your moitvation wane when you do not achieve your goals or see changes as quickly as you would like. Remembering that body changes are a cumulative process that takes time. Adding strength, increasing muscle size, improving aerobic endurance, or losing weight will all happen if you continue to work at it, but it will not happen over night. The key is to find a way to stay motivated throughout the process and not get derailed before you acheive your goal. Maintaining motivation is incredibly subjective, and it all depends on what you need as an individual. Joining a support group, attending a group fitness class, working out at local gym, exercising with friends, and setting small goals can all help keep you motivated and making incremental progress towards your goals. However, there are some immediate benefits of exercise that might motivate you like stress relief, increased self esteem, and reduced risk of weight-related health conditions. Exercising can set good examples for family and friends, and many employers are beginning to offer perks for those employees who maintain an exercise regimen.

Continue Learning about Staying Motivated For Fitness & Exercise

3 Ways Exercise Helps You Stay Young
3 Ways Exercise Helps You Stay Young
Feeling less than inspired when it's time to hustle over to the gym? We're betting these three workout benefits will fire up your motivation. (Try the...
Will a group environment help me to exercise?
A collaborative group environment can provide a sense of belonging, social support and accountabilit...
How can I succeed in my exercise program?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
There are many barriers to a successful exercise program, but they are nearly always beatable. One o...
How beneficial is exercise with a partner?
Chris PowellChris Powell
Exercise with a partner is not only a fun bonding experience; it also helps keep both partners accou...