What is CHIP?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

CHIP is the state and federally funded partnership called Children's Health Insurance Program that provides low cost health insurance to children whose families make too much to be eligible for Medicaid but not enough to pay standard premiums for coverage. The specific packages are designed by each state, but certain basic coverage must be included. All immunizations, routine checkups, preventative care, prescriptions, x-rays and dental care must be provided for infants, children, and pregnant women.

Ever wanted a chip that doesn’t cause health problems down the line? Well, this is one type of CHIP I really do like and encourage you to seek out and take advantage of. CHIP stands for Children’s Health Insurance Program and it provides free or low-cost coverage (including routine checkups, immunizations, hospital care, dental care, and more) for children up to age 19 whose families qualify based on their income. Keep in mind that each state has its own eligibility criteria, so your third cousin in Alabama and your best friend from Oregon may have different coverage situations.

In addition, CHIP makes sure that the other medical costs that require a premium don’t break your bank. Contact your State Children’s Health Insurance Assistance Program (SCHIP) for more information and to see if you qualify.

Continue Learning about State Children's Health Insurance Program

Can my children be covered by CHIP if I have a job?
Yes, your children may still be eligible for health coverage through Medicaid and the Children's Hea...
How can I qualify for health insurance if I am raising a grandchild?
To see if you qualify for health insurance if you are raising your grandchild, talk to someone at yo...
What are my options to get health insurance for my children?
If you already have health coverage through your employer, you may have access to a family plan that...
Who can apply for health insurance for my child?
A parent, grandparent, legal guardian or other authorized representative can provide health insuranc...