What is the best way to take St. John’s Wort?

The best way to take St. John's Wort depends on the reason it is being used. For example, an oral form, such as a pill, would be typically used for treatment of mild or moderate depression and should be taken with a full glass of water. A topical form would treat a burn on the skin. Standardized forms of an herbal supplement such as St. John's Wort can provide a more reliable dose, but since the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not require standardization of herbal products, not every St. John's Wort product may contain the same degree of active ingredients. Become informed about the contents of the product you choose, and use it as directed on its package or as stipulated by your health care professional.

Continue Learning about St. John's Wort

What questions should I ask my pharmacist about St. John’s wort?
Ask your pharmacist if St. John's wort may interact with any of the other medications you may be...
Can St. John's wort benefit people with heart conditions?
If you have any sort of heart condition, be sure to check with your doctor before you take St. J...
What should I know before taking St. John’s Wort?
Dr. Peter Bongiorno, NDDr. Peter Bongiorno, ND
Naturopathic Doctor and Licensed Acupuncturist Dr. Peter Bongiorno discusses what you should know be...
Who should use St. John’s Wort?
St. John's Wort is used to treat mild to moderate depression in adults. It is also used to treat oth...