Who should not use St. John’s Wort?

Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Pharmacy Specialist

You should not use St. John’s Wort if you are allergic to it, if you are using a serotonin reuptake blocker, or have a history of severe depression. Do not use this product if you are taking blood thinners, amphetamines, an antidepressant, narcotic analgesics, bromocriptine, pramipexole, or ropinirole. St. John's wort is believed to lower the effectiveness of birth control pills, some HIV drugs, some cancer-fighting drugs, and cyclosporine, which is used as an antirejection drug following transplants. If you are pregnant or nursing, do not use St. John’s Wort unless you consult your health care professional, since it is unknown if it affects the unborn or babies. Do not give this product to a child without first consulting your child’s doctor. Before taking this product, consult with your health care professional if you have any health issues, allergies (particularly to plants), or are taking other medications or supplements because it may be not advisable in some circumstances.

Continue Learning about St. John's Wort

Are there any risks in using St. John’s Wort?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Saint John's wort is a dietary supplement that has been found to have antidepressant properties. The...
More Answers
What is St. John's wort extract (SJWE)?
Stacy Wiegman, PharmDStacy Wiegman, PharmD
Many oral supplements of St. John's wort are actually extracts. These are formulations containin...
More Answers
Is St. John's Wort effective in treating depression?
Dr. Sarah N. Mourra, MDDr. Sarah N. Mourra, MD
St. John's wort is effective in treating symptoms of depression. However, despite its efficacy for d...
More Answers
What are the traditional uses of St. John's wort?
St. John's wort has several traditional uses.Greek and Roman medical sources report the use of St....
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.