Is St. John’s wort regulated by the FDA?

St. John's wort is classified by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a dietary supplement, not a drug. The FDA does not test it for safety and effectiveness, although it can take action if there is a safety issue. The FDA has not evaluated St. John's wort as a treatment for any medical condition. It is up to you to determine whether you believe it is effective and whether the product you purchase is safe.

Continue Learning about St. John's Wort

Can I take St. John’s wort if I am on heart medications?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
Sometimes researchers discover that certain drugs, foods, or vitamin or herbal supplements affect on...
What is the best way to take St. John’s Wort?
The best way to take St. John's Wort depends on the reason it is being used. For example, an ora...
Does St. John’s Wort interact with other medications?
Dr. Peter Bongiorno, NDDr. Peter Bongiorno, ND
St. John's wort (Latin name: Hypericum perforatum) is considered a bit of a menace in the conven...
How can I take St. John’s Wort?
St. John's Wort is available in oral forms such as capsules, tablets and liquid extracts, and it...