The dosage for the SJWE standardized to contain 0.3 percent hypericin and 3 to 5 percent hyperforin is typically 900 mg per day for mild depression and 1,800 mg per day for moderate to severe depression. Initially the dosage was spread out during the day, but recent studies indicate that a single daily dose is preferable.
- Q What questions should I ask my pharmacist about St. John’s wort?
- Q What is St. John's wort extract (SJWE)?
- Q Does St. John's wort help with somatoform disorders?
- Q How soon after taking St. John’s wort might depression symptoms improve?
- Q Are there any risks in using St. John’s Wort?
- Q What dosage of St. John's wort is typically used for children?