Can spindle cell squamous cell carcinoma spread throughout the body?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Spindle cell squamous cell carcinoma is one of the more aggressive types of squamous cell carcinoma, so it may spread throughout the body. Many times, this cancer affects only the skin and some of the surrounding tissue. However, if it's left untreated, spindle cell squamous cell carcinoma may metastasize, or spread throughout the body. If this happens, it first spreads to nearby lymph nodes and can later progress to distant organs. If it's caught early, before it begins to spread, treatments for spindle cell squamous cell carcinoma are usually effective at stopping the spread of the cancer.

Continue Learning about Squamous Cell Carcinoma

5 Answers About Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) is the second most common form of skin cancer, after basal cell carcinoma. It is also known as cutaneous squamous cell c...
How is Bowen's disease related to squamous cell carcinoma?
Bowen's disease, also called squamous cell carcinoma in situ or intraepidermal squamous cell carcino...
Can squamous cell carcinoma spread throughout the body?
Most of the time, squamous cell carcinoma affects only the skin and some of the surrounding tissue. ...
Should I talk to my doctor about my squamous cell carcinoma symptoms?
If you notice symptoms of squamous cell carcinoma, you should talk to your doctor. Symptoms are ofte...