How does squamous cell carcinoma affect the body?

Squamous cell carcinoma begins in the squamous cells, or keratinocytes, that make up your top layer of skin. When the DNA that controls the cells' growth is damaged, it causes an overgrowth and buildup of skin cells. This results in the symptoms you see, such as red bumps or scaly patches on your skin. Squamous cell carcinoma most commonly affects areas of skin that are exposed to the sun (especially the face, neck, and arms), but may develop almost anywhere on the body. If left untreated, squamous cell carcinoma can spread through the skin and through the rest of the body.

Continue Learning about Squamous Cell Carcinoma

4 Resources for Patients With cSCC
4 Resources for Patients With cSCC
Cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma, or cSCC, is the second-most common type of skin cancer, and accounts for approximately two out of every ten cases o...
5 Answers About Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) is the second most common form of skin cancer, after basal cell carcinoma. It is also known as cutaneous squamous cell c...
What do I need to know to care for someone with squamous cell carcinoma?
To care for someone with squamous cell carcinoma, help support them both physically and emotionally....
Should I talk to my doctor about my squamous cell carcinoma symptoms?
If you notice symptoms of squamous cell carcinoma, you should talk to your doctor. Symptoms are ofte...