How is basaloid squamous cell carcinoma diagnosed?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Basaloid squamous cell carcinoma is often quite difficult to diagnose because its symptoms aren't usually visible, and the symptoms it does produce often resemble those of other conditions. The first step in diagnosing basaloid squamous cell carcinoma is usually a physical exam that includes a review of your symptoms and medical history. Then, if doctors suspect basaloid squamous cell carcinoma, they will perform a biopsy. This procedure involves removing a part of the affected tissue and analyzing it under a microscope. Even on a microscopic level, basaloid squamous cell carcinoma may still resemble other conditions. This usually means it's not diagnosed till it has spread, so make sure to see a doctor right away if you notice any symptoms.

Continue Learning about Squamous Cell Carcinoma

Is squamous cell carcinoma serious?
All types of cancer are serious, but fortunately, squamous cell carcinoma is very treatable and is r...
Can squamous cell carcinoma spread throughout the body?
Most of the time, squamous cell carcinoma affects only the skin and some of the surrounding tissue. ...
Should I talk to my doctor about my squamous cell carcinoma symptoms?
If you notice symptoms of squamous cell carcinoma, you should talk to your doctor. Symptoms are ofte...
What is squamous cell carcinoma?
Squamous cell carcinoma is a relatively common type of skin cancer. It begins in the squamous cells,...