Does sun exposure increase my risk for squamous cell carcinoma?

Sun exposure is one of the most significant risk factors for squamous cell carcinoma. Sun exposure, especially over a lifetime, greatly increases the amount of ultraviolet (UV) radiation your skin gets. It's thought that those UV rays damage DNA and cause squamous cell carcinoma. Because of this risk, it's a good idea to avoid excessive sun exposure and to protect your skin with sunscreen and protective clothing.

Continue Learning about Squamous Cell Carcinoma

5 Answers About Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) is the second most common form of skin cancer, after basal cell carcinoma. It is also known as cutaneous squamous cell c...
Systemic Therapies for Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma (cSCC) is a type of skin cancer that begins in the squamous cells found in the outer layers of the skin. In most cas...
What does squamous cell carcinoma mean?
Squamous cell carcinoma is a type of skin cancer that can affect any area of your body. When present...
Should I talk to my doctor about my squamous cell carcinoma symptoms?
If you notice symptoms of squamous cell carcinoma, you should talk to your doctor. Symptoms are ofte...