What causes spindle cell squamous cell carcinoma?

Spindle cell squamous cell carcinoma develops in the cells that make up the epidermis (your outer layer of skin). Normally, these cells go through a growth cycle in which old cells die and are pushed out by new cells continuously. In spindle cell squamous cell carcinoma, the DNA that controls that growth cycle is damaged, most commonly by UV radiation from the sun. This causes an overgrowth and buildup of cells. These cells then intertwine with collagen in the epidermis and dermis, forming a tumor. Researchers aren't sure why some people develop spindle cell squamous cell carcinoma and others don't, but a major risk factor is sun exposure.

Continue Learning about Squamous Cell Carcinoma

5 Answers About Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) is the second most common form of skin cancer, after basal cell carcinoma. It is also known as cutaneous squamous cell c...
Systemic Therapies for Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma (cSCC) is a type of skin cancer that begins in the squamous cells found in the outer layers of the skin. In most cas...
Should I talk to my doctor about my squamous cell carcinoma symptoms?
If you notice symptoms of squamous cell carcinoma, you should talk to your doctor. Symptoms are ofte...
What does squamous cell carcinoma mean?
Squamous cell carcinoma is a type of skin cancer that can affect any area of your body. When present...