What's involved in rehabilitation for an ankle sprain?

Rehabilitation is used to help decrease pain and swelling and to prevent chronic ankle problems. Ultrasound and electrical stimulation may also be used as needed to help with pain and swelling. At first, rehabilitation exercises may involve active range of motion or controlled movements of the ankle joint without resistance. Water exercises may be used if land-based strengthening exercises, such as toe raising, are too painful. Lower-extremity exercises and endurance activities are added as tolerated. Proprioception training is very important, because poor proprioception is a major cause of repeat sprain and an unstable ankle joint. Once you are pain-free, you may add other exercises, such as agility drills. The goal is to increase strength and range of motion as balance improves over time. (This answer provided for NATA by the Weber State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

How do I strengthen my wrist after a sprain?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Initially, you will need to get your flexibility back in your wrist. To do this, stretch it in all f...
How is a thigh strain treated?
The proper treatment for a thigh strain is to rest, ice, compress, and elevate the injured leg. ...
How can I care for a sprain or strain at home?
Most sprains and strains can be treated at home and will heal in two to three weeks. Proper treatmen...
Can sprains be prevented?
There are several things you can do to reduce your risk of a sprain. Before you start playing a spor...