What is skier's thumb?

Skier’s thumb is a sprained thumb, causing damage to the ulnar collateral ligament in the thumb. The injury is caused by forceful movement of the thumb away from the other fingers. Common symptoms are severe thumb pain and swelling with an inability to use the thumb. This injury is also common in football players and is also sometimes known as gamekeeper’s thumb.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Indiana University Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

Don’t be a Turkey this Turkey Bowl Season
Dr. Mike’s Cleveland Clinic sees plenty; so does Dr. Oz’s New York Presbyterian Hospital -- emergency room visits for sprains, broken bones, contusion...
When should I call my doctor if I have a sprain or strain?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you have a sprain or strain, call or go to the doctor or clinic if: You heard a popping sound w...
How do I strengthen my wrist after a sprain?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Initially, you will need to get your flexibility back in your wrist. To do this, stretch it in all f...
When should I seek follow-up care for my child’s sprain or strain?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
If you have been seen by a doctor, follow-up with the doctor before returning to any sports.Also see...