What can a doctor's exam tell me about my risk for a knee injury?

A doctor's exam can be an important way to determine your risk for knee injury. Before beginning a physical exam your doctor will probably take a thorough medical history. If you are having problems with your knee, the medical history may include questions about what your symptoms are and how long you have been experiencing symptoms. The doctor may also ask questions about the kind of activities you engage in (work, sports) that may put you at higher risk for knee sprains, twists, repetitive stress or other kinds of knee injuries.

During the physical examination of your knee, your doctor may bend and straighten and rotate your leg to check the range of motion in your knee. You may be asked to lie down on your back, and when you do, the doctor may manipulate your leg into different positions to check the structure and laxity of the ligaments in your knee.

The doctor may also palpate your knee and surrounding area to check for injury, tenderness and pain. You may also be asked to stand, walk and/or squat so the doctor can watch your knees in motion and check for normal functioning, and also examine the alignment of your knees and your posture.

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

Don’t be a Turkey this Turkey Bowl Season
Dr. Mike’s Cleveland Clinic sees plenty; so does Dr. Oz’s New York Presbyterian Hospital -- emergency room visits for sprains, broken bones, contusion...
Weekend Warrior: Simple Self-Care for Minor Strains, Sprains and Bruises
Whether you're an athlete or a semi-out-of-shape desk lounger who hasn't seen a gym in months, soft-tissue injuries (think strains, sprains, and bruis...
How do I know if I need an x-ray of my injured ankle?
CareNowCareNow
Typically an x-ray would be ordered based on your doctor’s findings during the examination of your i...
How do I manage my sprain on a daily basis?
Yusuf Boyd, NASM Elite TrainerYusuf Boyd, NASM Elite Trainer
First, have the injury evaluated by a professional such as a certified athletic trainer, physical th...