What can a doctor's exam tell me about my risk for a knee injury?

A doctor's exam can be an important way to determine your risk for knee injury. Before beginning a physical exam your doctor will probably take a thorough medical history. If you are having problems with your knee, the medical history may include questions about what your symptoms are and how long you have been experiencing symptoms. The doctor may also ask questions about the kind of activities you engage in (work, sports) that may put you at higher risk for knee sprains, twists, repetitive stress or other kinds of knee injuries.

During the physical examination of your knee, your doctor may bend and straighten and rotate your leg to check the range of motion in your knee. You may be asked to lie down on your back, and when you do, the doctor may manipulate your leg into different positions to check the structure and laxity of the ligaments in your knee.

The doctor may also palpate your knee and surrounding area to check for injury, tenderness and pain. You may also be asked to stand, walk and/or squat so the doctor can watch your knees in motion and check for normal functioning, and also examine the alignment of your knees and your posture.

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

What is the treatment for a foot sprain?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
If you sustain a foot sprain, follow the RICE regimen ( rest, ice, compression, and elevation), ...
When should I go to a doctor for a sprain or strain?
Although most sprains and strains can be treated at home, some require professional medical care. If...
When should I call my doctor if I have a sprain or strain?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you have a sprain or strain, call or go to the doctor or clinic if: You heard a popping sound w...
What is turf toe?
Dr. Christopher P. Chiodo, MDDr. Christopher P. Chiodo, MD
A foot sprain involves tearing a ligament, a fibrous structure that connects one bone to another. On...