What happens if I don't treat a sprain properly?

Dr. Gerald M. Silverman
Chiropractic Medicine Specialist

Strain and sprain injuries are more serious than microtraumas because the disrupted tissue bonds must be restored and reoriented in a manner that will allow free and unrestricted movement. If the bonds are restored haphazardly, weak and inflexible scar tissue will develop, and movement can be permanently lost. If that happens, chronic muscle stiffness and rigidity will occur and chronic pain can result. Under ideal circumstances, if you engage in the appropriate stretching and exercise to promote the proper reorganization of tissue patterns, these injuries can resolve in just a few weeks. However, if you don't gently stretch and exercise the muscles and the tissue heals poorly, loss of movement will persist and pain signals will continue to override normal nerve traffic.

Your Miraculous Back: A Step-By-Step Guide to Relieving Neck & Back Pain

Many of us complain about our 'bad back,' but this book argues that our backs are, without exception, amazing examples of bioengineering, capable of dramatic feats of strength, flexibility, and...

If you don’t treat a sprain properly you can end up with chronic inflammation. Chronic overuse or chronic inflammation can cause long term pain and disability if not properly evaluated and treated.

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

Weekend Warrior: Simple Self-Care for Minor Strains, Sprains and Bruises
Whether you're an athlete or a semi-out-of-shape desk lounger who hasn't seen a gym in months, soft-tissue injuries (think strains, sprains, and bruis...
Don’t be a Turkey this Turkey Bowl Season
Dr. Mike’s Cleveland Clinic sees plenty; so does Dr. Oz’s New York Presbyterian Hospital -- emergency room visits for sprains, broken bones, contusion...
How do I manage my sprain on a daily basis?
Yusuf Boyd, NASM Elite TrainerYusuf Boyd, NASM Elite Trainer
First, have the injury evaluated by a professional such as a certified athletic trainer, physical th...
What can I do at home for finger and thumb sprains?
If the injury is to the middle joint or the joint nearest your hand, "buddy tape" the finger to ...