What is the difference between a wrist sprain and a wrist strain?

A sprain is an injury to the ligaments of the wrist. When a sprain occurs, the injured ligament will either be stretched (in mild cases) or torn (in more severe cases). A strain is an injury to the muscles or tendons of the wrist. The amount that the injured muscle is torn is based on the severity of the strain.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Indiana University Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

Don’t be a Turkey this Turkey Bowl Season
Dr. Mike’s Cleveland Clinic sees plenty; so does Dr. Oz’s New York Presbyterian Hospital -- emergency room visits for sprains, broken bones, contusion...
Weekend Warrior: Simple Self-Care for Minor Strains, Sprains and Bruises
Whether you're an athlete or a semi-out-of-shape desk lounger who hasn't seen a gym in months, soft-tissue injuries (think strains, sprains, and bruis...
When should I go to a doctor for a sprain or strain?
Although most sprains and strains can be treated at home, some require professional medical care. If...
Should I talk to a doctor about my sprain symptoms?
Sometimes, mild sprains may be treated without the help of a doctor. However, there are certain case...