What is the difference between a wrist sprain and a wrist strain?

A sprain is an injury to the ligaments of the wrist. When a sprain occurs, the injured ligament will either be stretched (in mild cases) or torn (in more severe cases). A strain is an injury to the muscles or tendons of the wrist. The amount that the injured muscle is torn is based on the severity of the strain.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Indiana University Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

Weekend Warrior: Simple Self-Care for Minor Strains, Sprains and Bruises
Whether you're an athlete or a semi-out-of-shape desk lounger who hasn't seen a gym in months, soft-tissue injuries (think strains, sprains, and bruis...
Don’t be a Turkey this Turkey Bowl Season
Dr. Mike’s Cleveland Clinic sees plenty; so does Dr. Oz’s New York Presbyterian Hospital -- emergency room visits for sprains, broken bones, contusion...
What increases my risk for a sprain?
In general, your risk for a sprain is increased if your work or hobbies require a lot of physical ac...
When should I call my doctor if I have a sprain or strain?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you have a sprain or strain, call or go to the doctor or clinic if: You heard a popping sound w...