What causes skier's thumb?

Rachel Rohde, MD
Orthopedic Surgery

Ligaments connect bones to each other across a joint; injury to a ligament often is called a “sprain.”  The joint between the thumb and the hand in what we call the first web space is a frequently injured joint. When the thumb is “jammed” into a person, object, or the ground, the ulnar collateral ligament can be torn. This is called “gamekeeper’s thumb.”  It also is called “skier’s thumb” after the skier who injures this ligament while holding a pole. The radial collateral ligament (on the other side of this joint) also can be torn.

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

Weekend Warrior: Simple Self-Care for Minor Strains, Sprains and Bruises
Whether you're an athlete or a semi-out-of-shape desk lounger who hasn't seen a gym in months, soft-tissue injuries (think strains, sprains, and bruis...
Don’t be a Turkey this Turkey Bowl Season
Dr. Mike’s Cleveland Clinic sees plenty; so does Dr. Oz’s New York Presbyterian Hospital -- emergency room visits for sprains, broken bones, contusion...
How soon after a sprain can I start exercising again?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
It really depends on the severity of the sprain. I base it on your pain.   After a sprain, I like ...
Why is my ankle black and blue?
CareNowCareNow
Your ankle is black and blue due to bleeding and inflammation beneath the skin, or bruising. Bruisin...