What are some causes of neck sprains?

Neck sprains have different causes. Some of the most common causes are hitting with the top of the head when the neck is slightly bent, hitting that causes the neck to bend too much, and hitting that makes the neck extend too much.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Alabama Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

What can I expect if I go to the emergency room for treatment of a sprain?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
A sprain is torn ligament fibers, causing swelling pain and inability of the limb to function no...
What are some common causes of sprains and strains?
Sprains and strains are often the result of overexertion when playing a sport or exercising. The...
What are the symptoms of a sprain?
Symptoms of a sprain may vary depending on how severely the ligament is stretched or torn. In genera...
How do I know if I've overextended my arm?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
If it hurts to straighten your arm, then you may have overextended your arm. Your biceps muscle,...