What causes muscle strain?

Muscle strains may occur as a result of an accident or as a result of overuse. If it occurs due to an accident, it's called an acute strain. This usually happens when there's sudden stretching or pulling of a muscle, and it often happens when you lift a heavy object, slip, or somehow pull it unusually far while running or jumping. Sometimes, a muscle strain may happen if you don't warm up properly before running or doing another physical activity. If the strain is a result of overuse of your muscle, it's called a chronic strain. This often happens to people whose jobs require a lot of lifting or physical activity, or to people who play sports like tennis, golf, and gymnastics that require constant, repetitive motions.

Two common causes of muscle strains are:

1. Being in a position where the muscle is stretched to its endpoint and then is forcefully contracted (e.g., a soccer player preparing to kick by bringing the foot far behind the body and then aggressively bringing the leg forward to strike the ball, resulting in a strained hip flexor).

2. Aggressive eccentric contractions (e.g., a gymnast landing a dismount repetitively, absorbing energy with the legs, resulting in a strained quadriceps).

(This answer provided for NATA by the Weber State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

Weekend Warrior: Simple Self-Care for Minor Strains, Sprains and Bruises
Whether you're an athlete or a semi-out-of-shape desk lounger who hasn't seen a gym in months, soft-tissue injuries (think strains, sprains, and bruis...
Don’t be a Turkey this Turkey Bowl Season
Dr. Mike’s Cleveland Clinic sees plenty; so does Dr. Oz’s New York Presbyterian Hospital -- emergency room visits for sprains, broken bones, contusion...
What are sprains and strains?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
A sprain is an injury to a joint, like an ankle, knee, or wrist. A strain is a muscle injury. Sp...
When should I call my doctor if I have a sprain or strain?
If you have a sprain or strain, call or go to the doctor or clinic if: You heard a popping sound w...