Should I talk to a doctor about my sprain symptoms?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Sometimes, mild sprains may be treated without the help of a doctor. However, there are certain cases in which you should see a doctor. You should go to a hospital immediately if your joint looks deformed, if you think you may have broken a bone, or if you hear or feel a "pop" when the injury occurs. You should see a doctor if your injury is red, numb, or bleeding, or if swelling and pain last more than several days.

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

What is a grade 2 sprain?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
A grade 2 sprain involves partial tearing of the ligament. If the joint is examined and moved in spe...
What should I know about caring for someone with a sprain?
When caring for someone with a sprain, it's important to help that person do all they can to allow t...
How do medications treat a sprain?
Usually, the only medications used to treat a sprain are over-the-counter painkillers. These medicat...
How is skier's thumb diagnosed?
Rachel Rohde, MDRachel Rohde, MD
Swelling, bruising, and pain are common with this injury, but many people wait a few weeks before se...