Should I talk to a doctor about my sprain symptoms?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
Family Practitioner

Sometimes, mild sprains may be treated without the help of a doctor. However, there are certain cases in which you should see a doctor. You should go to a hospital immediately if your joint looks deformed, if you think you may have broken a bone, or if you hear or feel a "pop" when the injury occurs. You should see a doctor if your injury is red, numb, or bleeding, or if swelling and pain last more than several days.

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

What is a grade 2 sprain?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
A grade 2 sprain involves partial tearing of the ligament. If the joint is examined and moved in spe...
More Answers
What should I know about caring for someone with a sprain?
Diana MeeksDiana Meeks
When caring for someone with a sprain, it's important to help that person do all they can to allow t...
More Answers
How do medications treat a sprain?
Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhDDr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Usually, the only medications used to treat a sprain are over-the-counter painkillers. These medicat...
More Answers
How is skier's thumb diagnosed?
Rachel Rohde, MDRachel Rohde, MD
Swelling, bruising, and pain are common with this injury, but many people wait a few weeks before se...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.