Should I stretch after the swelling caused by an ankle sprain decreases?

It will be very important to stretch after the swelling decreases. When that type of injury occurs, your body will lose range of motion in the affected joint very quickly. If optimal range of motion is not restored other injuries can occur. Key muscles to stretch include the calf muscles, the muscles in the front of your thigh (quadriceps), the muscles in the back of your thigh (hamstrings), as well as the muscles in the front and the back of the hips. It is very common for individuals who sprain their ankles to alter their movement patterns to compensate for the injured ankle. This forces other muscles to do more than they are used to doing, causing them to become tight. When stretching these muscles, hold each stretch for 20-30 seconds and repeat as needed.

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

Don’t be a Turkey this Turkey Bowl Season
Dr. Mike’s Cleveland Clinic sees plenty; so does Dr. Oz’s New York Presbyterian Hospital -- emergency room visits for sprains, broken bones, contusion...
Weekend Warrior: Simple Self-Care for Minor Strains, Sprains and Bruises
Whether you're an athlete or a semi-out-of-shape desk lounger who hasn't seen a gym in months, soft-tissue injuries (think strains, sprains, and bruis...
What can I expect if I go to the emergency room for treatment of a sprain?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
A sprain is torn ligament fibers, causing swelling pain and inability of the limb to function no...
How can I help prevent foot sprains?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
A foot sprain involves tearing a ligament, a fibrous structure that connects one bone to another...