What are the signs of a finger sprain?

The signs of a finger sprain are visible, palpable and functional. Visible signs include mild to moderate swelling, bruising, and deformity. Palpable signs include point tenderness around the joint, swelling, and increased temperature from inflammation. Functional signs include a loss or limited range of motion, pain with motion, and increased laxity around the joint.

Finger sprains can be accompanied with bone fracture or joint dislocation. If pain, swelling, and loss of motion is extreme, consult a physician for further evaluation and diagnostic imaging.

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

What can cause my arm below my elbow to feel numb when I throw a lot?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
If your arm below your elbow feels numb when you throw a lot, you most likely have a sprain of t...
What should I know about caring for someone with a sprain?
When caring for someone with a sprain, it's important to help that person do all they can to allow t...
Are there alternative treatments for sprains?
The most commonly-used treatments for sprains are, in fact, alternative treatments that you can do a...
What is the difference between an ankle sprain and a high ankle sprain?
High ankle sprains are injuries that extend up the lower leg. The symptoms are severe pain and loss ...