Should I get an x-ray for a sprained ankle?

If you sprained your ankle, you do not necessarily need an x-ray, though it will be the method necessary to rule out a fracture. If your ankle is broken or fractured, there is often a deformity; you should be able to see that your bones are not in line and may appear different when compared to your uninjured ankle. Pain will be sharp and intense over one spot if there is an ankle fracture. If you can walk on your ankle, there is minimal pain and after several days of proper care your ankle is getting better, an x-ray probably is not necessary. (This answer provided for NATA by the Eastern University Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

What is a strain?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
A strain is a stretching and tearing of muscles or tendons. Strains often are caused by lifti...
How does a sprain affect the body?
A sprain can have various effects on the body depending on the severity and location of the sprained...
What is a hyperextended finger injury?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
A hyperextended finger injury occurs when the ligaments on the palm side of your fingers stretch...
What can I expect if I go to the emergency room for treatment of a sprain?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
A sprain is torn ligament fibers, causing swelling pain and inability of the limb to function no...