How does a sprain affect the body?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

A sprain can have various effects on the body depending on the severity and location of the sprained joint. A sprain happens when a ligament is stretched too far or torn. Usually, this is caused when a joint is stressed and forced into an unnatural, painful position. The sprain may cause the joint to become painful, swollen, and bruised.

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

When should I call my doctor if I have a sprain or strain?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you have a sprain or strain, call or go to the doctor or clinic if: You heard a popping sound w...
What is a grade 3 sprain?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
A grade 3 sprain is a complete tear of the ligament. If the examiner pulls or pushes on the joint in...
What is the first aid treatment for sprains and strains?
First aid treatment for sprains and strains consists of the RICE treatment: Resting the limb A...
What is turf toe?
Dr. Christopher P. Chiodo, MDDr. Christopher P. Chiodo, MD
A foot sprain involves tearing a ligament, a fibrous structure that connects one bone to another. On...