How much rehabilitation is needed after surgery for a sprained ankle?

Rehabilitation after ankle surgery involves time and attention to restore strength and range of motion so you can return to pre-injury function. The length of time you can expect to spend recovering depends upon the extent of injury and the amount of surgery that was done. Rehabilitation may take from weeks to months. (This answer provided for NATA by the Weber State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

What's the difference between a hip strain and a hip sprain?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
A hip strain is an injury to the muscles or tendons surrounding or affecting hip movement, while...
How should my child be treated for a sprain or strain?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Your child’s doctor will talk with you about specific care for your child. Some general guidelines t...
What can I expect if I go to the emergency room for treatment of a sprain?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
A sprain is torn ligament fibers, causing swelling pain and inability of the limb to function no...
What is a strain?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
A strain is a stretching and tearing of muscles or tendons. Strains often are caused by lifti...