How much rehabilitation is needed after surgery for a sprained ankle?

Rehabilitation after ankle surgery involves time and attention to restore strength and range of motion so you can return to pre-injury function. The length of time you can expect to spend recovering depends upon the extent of injury and the amount of surgery that was done. Rehabilitation may take from weeks to months. (This answer provided for NATA by the Weber State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

Weekend Warrior: Simple Self-Care for Minor Strains, Sprains and Bruises
Whether you're an athlete or a semi-out-of-shape desk lounger who hasn't seen a gym in months, soft-tissue injuries (think strains, sprains, and bruis...
Don’t be a Turkey this Turkey Bowl Season
Dr. Mike’s Cleveland Clinic sees plenty; so does Dr. Oz’s New York Presbyterian Hospital -- emergency room visits for sprains, broken bones, contusion...
What can cause my arm below my elbow to feel numb when I throw a lot?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
If your arm below your elbow feels numb when you throw a lot, you most likely have a sprain of t...
Why might the bottom of my big toe hurt?
The bottom of your big toe may be sore for a few reasons. The two possibilities are sesamoiditis and...