How can I prevent further injury to a sprained ankle?

Holman Chan, MD
Foot & Ankle Surgery
The best way to prevent further injury to a sprained ankle is to do physical therapy for the injury. In this video, I will describe how physical therapy will help you relearn to walk.
Rehabilitation is the best tool to prevent further injury to an ankle sprain or "rolled" ankle. The rehabilitation should include strengthening of the ankle muscles as well as balance training. The ankle sprain causes damage to ligaments, and the exercise will not change the ligaments, but will allow muscles to provide stability instead of the ligaments. In extreme cases, surgery may be necessary. A healthcare provider can assist you in the rehabilitation process.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Gustavus Adolphus College Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

Weekend Warrior: Simple Self-Care for Minor Strains, Sprains and Bruises
Whether you're an athlete or a semi-out-of-shape desk lounger who hasn't seen a gym in months, soft-tissue injuries (think strains, sprains, and bruis...
Don’t be a Turkey this Turkey Bowl Season
Dr. Mike’s Cleveland Clinic sees plenty; so does Dr. Oz’s New York Presbyterian Hospital -- emergency room visits for sprains, broken bones, contusion...
How can I treat a sprained rib muscle that's making it hard to breathe?
West Valley Medical CenterWest Valley Medical Center
Pain relievers, topical treatments, and cough suppressants can help treat a sprained rib muscle that...
What is a grade 3 sprain?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
A grade 3 sprain is a complete tear of the ligament. If the examiner pulls or pushes on the joint in...