How do I know if a muscle strain is serious?

It is hard to initially diagnose the severity of a muscle strain. Functional tests can assess the activation of a muscle, which can be a helpful determinant; however, retrospect diagnostics are more effective. This means that a clinician can evaluate the length of time it took to fully heal from a strain, and then accurately determine what the severity of the strain was. (This answer provided for NATA by the Weber State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

Don’t be a Turkey this Turkey Bowl Season
Dr. Mike’s Cleveland Clinic sees plenty; so does Dr. Oz’s New York Presbyterian Hospital -- emergency room visits for sprains, broken bones, contusion...
Weekend Warrior: Simple Self-Care for Minor Strains, Sprains and Bruises
Whether you're an athlete or a semi-out-of-shape desk lounger who hasn't seen a gym in months, soft-tissue injuries (think strains, sprains, and bruis...
What can cause my arm below my elbow to feel numb when I throw a lot?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
If your arm below your elbow feels numb when you throw a lot, you most likely have a sprain of t...
How does a sprain affect the body?
A sprain can have various effects on the body depending on the severity and location of the sprained...