How do I know if a muscle strain is serious?

It is hard to initially diagnose the severity of a muscle strain. Functional tests can assess the activation of a muscle, which can be a helpful determinant; however, retrospect diagnostics are more effective. This means that a clinician can evaluate the length of time it took to fully heal from a strain, and then accurately determine what the severity of the strain was. (This answer provided for NATA by the Weber State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

How is a thigh strain treated?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The proper treatment for a thigh strain is to rest, ice, compress, and elevate the injured leg. ...
How do I strengthen my wrist after a sprain?
Initially, you will need to get your flexibility back in your wrist. To do this, stretch it in all f...
What is the difference between a sprain and a strain?
Wesley Medical CenterWesley Medical Center
Both strains and sprains cause an acute onset of pain. A sprain is damage to the ligament in the joi...
What is the difference between a wrist sprain and a wrist strain?
A sprain is an injury to the ligaments of the wrist. When a sprain occurs, the injured ligament ...