How is a muscle strain diagnosed?

To diagnose a muscle strain, doctors will usually begin with a physical exam and an evaluation of your symptoms. Sometimes the doctor may have you move the affected body part to determine exactly what muscle has been strained. Certain scans such as X-rays or MRIs may be helpful for ruling out other types of injury. Depending on the case, your doctor may refer you to a specialist, such as an orthopedic surgeon or a sports medicine professional.

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

Don’t be a Turkey this Turkey Bowl Season
Dr. Mike’s Cleveland Clinic sees plenty; so does Dr. Oz’s New York Presbyterian Hospital -- emergency room visits for sprains, broken bones, contusion...
Weekend Warrior: Simple Self-Care for Minor Strains, Sprains and Bruises
Whether you're an athlete or a semi-out-of-shape desk lounger who hasn't seen a gym in months, soft-tissue injuries (think strains, sprains, and bruis...
What is a grade 2 sprain?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
A grade 2 sprain involves partial tearing of the ligament. If the joint is examined and moved in spe...
What can I expect if I go to the emergency room for treatment of a sprain?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
A sprain is torn ligament fibers, causing swelling pain and inability of the limb to function no...