What should I know about caring for someone with a muscle strain?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

When caring for someone with a muscle strain, it's important to help that person do all they can to allow the muscle to heal. This may include icing the injured area for 15 minutes every few hours, wrapping the muscle in an elastic bandage to reduce swelling, and keeping the muscle elevated. The most important thing you can do is encourage the person to rest and stay off the muscle while it still hurts. If the muscle strain is severe, help the person get medical advice from a doctor for further treatment.

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

Weekend Warrior: Simple Self-Care for Minor Strains, Sprains and Bruises
Whether you're an athlete or a semi-out-of-shape desk lounger who hasn't seen a gym in months, soft-tissue injuries (think strains, sprains, and bruis...
How do I know if I've overextended my arm?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
If it hurts to straighten your arm, then you may have overextended your arm. Your biceps muscle,...
What can I expect if I go to the emergency room for treatment of a sprain?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
A sprain is torn ligament fibers, causing swelling pain and inability of the limb to function no...
What can I do at home for a sprained wrist?
After the first three days of ice application, start applying heat and ice alternately on the in...