What exercises will prevent repeat ankle sprains?

Exercises that help to improve flexibility of the calf musculature as well as exercises to improve strength in the muscles of the foot/ankle and hips will be important to decrease your risk of ankle sprains. Start by performing foam rolling of the calf musculature. If you feel a tender spot, hold the foam roller on that spot for approximately 30 seconds. Next, perform static stretches for the calf. Hold each stretch for 20-30 seconds. Next, perform ankle and hip strengthening exercises such as single-leg calf raises and lateral tube walking. Perform 1-3 sets of 10-15 repetitions. Lastly, perform balancing exercises such as the single-leg balance reach that force you to use both the ankle and hip muscles to control your leg in an unstable environment. Perform 1-3 sets of 10-15 repetitions.

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

Weekend Warrior: Simple Self-Care for Minor Strains, Sprains and Bruises
Whether you're an athlete or a semi-out-of-shape desk lounger who hasn't seen a gym in months, soft-tissue injuries (think strains, sprains, and bruis...
Don’t be a Turkey this Turkey Bowl Season
Dr. Mike’s Cleveland Clinic sees plenty; so does Dr. Oz’s New York Presbyterian Hospital -- emergency room visits for sprains, broken bones, contusion...
What should I know about caring for someone with a sprain?
Matthew Toth , NASM Elite TrainerMatthew Toth , NASM Elite Trainer
Always follow the doctor’s instructions. Sprains are normally graded 1-3 depending on severity. Unde...
What can I expect if I go to the emergency room for treatment of a sprain?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
A sprain is torn ligament fibers, causing swelling pain and inability of the limb to function no...