Are there alternative treatments for sprains?

The most commonly-used treatments for sprains are, in fact, alternative treatments that you can do at home without any medication. As soon as the injury happens, apply ice to the affected joint using an ice pack or ice wrapped in cloth. Compression and elevation may also help the sprain - wrap the affected area in an elastic wrap or bandage to reduce swelling, and keep the joint elevated above heart level. Resting is a simple yet important alternative treatment - avoid using the injured joint while it still hurts. This may require the use of a cane or crutches so that you can keep weight off the sprained joint. As your ligaments start to heal, gradual movement and exercise will help you to regain strength and range of motion.

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

Weekend Warrior: Simple Self-Care for Minor Strains, Sprains and Bruises
Whether you're an athlete or a semi-out-of-shape desk lounger who hasn't seen a gym in months, soft-tissue injuries (think strains, sprains, and bruis...
Don’t be a Turkey this Turkey Bowl Season
Dr. Mike’s Cleveland Clinic sees plenty; so does Dr. Oz’s New York Presbyterian Hospital -- emergency room visits for sprains, broken bones, contusion...
What can cause my arm below my elbow to feel numb when I throw a lot?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
If your arm below your elbow feels numb when you throw a lot, you most likely have a sprain of t...
What is a grade 3 sprain?
A grade 3 sprain is a complete tear of the ligament. If the examiner pulls or pushes on the joint in...