How can I prevent ankle injuries when I play sports?

Ankle instability increases your risk of acquiring an ankle injury during sports competition. Stabilization training such as standing on a balance pad or Airex pad and performing exercises will increase the stability of the muscles and connective tissue around the ankle, making it easier for the ankle to stabilize itself during activities. During actual sports competition, having a qualified sports medicine professional wrapping your ankle or wearing an ankle brace will decrease your risk of acquiring an injury.

Maintaining the strength and awareness of the feet and ankle muscles is the best way to prevent injury to this area. Specific exercises (best specified by a physical therapist) can achieve this goal. Additionally, for previously injured ankles or inherent weakness, bracing or taping may be utilized during physical activities.

Continue Learning about Sports Medicine

When should a young athlete see a sports medicine physician?
Daniel J. Gurley, MDDaniel J. Gurley, MD
It’s not uncommon for young athletes to experience stiffness and soreness. However, when a young pla...
What is sports medicine?
Memorial Hospital of TampaMemorial Hospital of Tampa
Sports medicine is the treatment of injuries sustained while being active.
What are ways to prevent snow-related sports injuries?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The best way to prevent snow sport injuries is to follow the F.I.S. code of conduct, which consists ...
Neck Stinger / Douglas Cutter, MD, CAQSM