How can I prevent ankle injuries when I play sports?

Dr. Joan R. Williams, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon

The best way to prevent ankle injuries when you play sports is to wear the appropriate footwear, stretch or warm-up and keep the ankle strong and balanced with basic strengthening exercises. If you have a prior injury, you should not continue to push through pain and difficulty as that can delay healing and prolong the injury. Make sure that the equipment you are using is up to date and that there are no major holes or dangers on the fields you play on.

Maintaining the strength and awareness of the feet and ankle muscles is the best way to prevent injury to this area. Specific exercises (best specified by a physical therapist) can achieve this goal. Additionally, for previously injured ankles or inherent weakness, bracing or taping may be utilized during physical activities.

Ankle instability increases your risk of acquiring an ankle injury during sports competition. Stabilization training such as standing on a balance pad or Airex pad and performing exercises will increase the stability of the muscles and connective tissue around the ankle, making it easier for the ankle to stabilize itself during activities. During actual sports competition, having a qualified sports medicine professional wrapping your ankle or wearing an ankle brace will decrease your risk of acquiring an injury.

Continue Learning about Sports Medicine

Prevent and Treat Shin Splints
Prevent and Treat Shin Splints
You’ve probably heard that dancers often suffer from shin splints. But did you know runners, and tennis, soccer and basketball players are also at hig...
What are ways to prevent snow-related sports injuries?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The best way to prevent snow sport injuries is to follow the F.I.S. code of conduct, which consists ...
Can mouth guards prevent concussions?
There is currently no published evidence that mouth guards help to prevent concussions. Mouth guards...
Cramps / Douglas Cutter, MD, CAQSM
Cramps / Douglas Cutter, MD, CAQSM