Can mouth guards prevent concussions?

There is currently no published evidence that mouth guards help to prevent concussions. Mouth guards do, however, play a critical role in preventing athletic dental injuries. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about Sports Medicine

Prevent and Treat Shin Splints
Prevent and Treat Shin Splints
You’ve probably heard that dancers often suffer from shin splints. But did you know runners, and tennis, soccer and basketball players are also at hig...
How can sports injuries be prevented in my child?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
Proper supervision is essential in preventing sports injuries in children. It’s especially important...
How can I prevent ankle injuries when I play sports?
Maintaining the strength and awareness of the feet and ankle muscles is the best way to prevent inju...
The Evolution of Sports Medicine
The Evolution of Sports Medicine