When should I see a doctor about a sports injury?

You should see a doctor about a sports injury if you’re experiencing extreme pain, significant swelling or instability after sustaining an injury. Another way to decide whether to make an appointment is based on your recovery time. If you recover within a couple of weeks, it’s usually safe to return to activity. If you thought it was a minor injury, but it’s been more than two weeks and you haven’t made a full recovery, you should see a doctor.

Each person responds to a sports injury differently, so it’s important to know yourself and follow your instincts.

Continue Learning about Sports Injuries

How to Avoid 3 Common Kids’ Sports Injuries
When your child signs up for Little League, you know the chances are pretty good they’ll come home with a bump or bruise that you can treat with a lit...
Should I wear a brace during sports after an MCL sprain?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The use of a brace after an MCL (medial collateral ligament) sprain will be beneficial. The MCL ...
What is a type of surgery for tennis elbow?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
One type of surgery for tennis elbow is the Tenex Health technique. It has the following benefits: ...
How Can Runners Prevent Injury?
How Can Runners Prevent Injury?