What are the signs of a serious injury for a student athlete?

Jennifer J. Beck, MD
Pediatric Orthopedic Surgery
For student athletes, there are signs that a serious injury has occurred. Parents and coaches should bring a student athlete to the emergency room or urgent care center if:
  • They see something out of place or a limb just doesn't look right.
  • There are large cuts or breaks in the skin.
  • The athlete is not able to put any weight on his or her leg or bend or straighten the knee.
  • The athlete has immediate swelling or bruising.
  • Pain is not relieved by over-the-counter pain medications.
If there is a less severe injury, such as the athlete can move the knee but it hurts to bend or straighten it, or the pain or swelling from an injury is lasting more than a few days, make an appointment for the athlete see a doctor within the next couple of days.

Continue Learning about Sports Injuries

This Blood Test Can Check for Brain Injuries
 A couple of seasons ago, 35 of 288 players in the Swedish Hockey League suffered concussions in the first half of their season! That’s when the Swede...
What is little league elbow?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Little league elbow primarily affects children and adolescent baseball pitchers. The stress plac...
What are common muscles injured in ice hockey?
Levi Harrison, MDLevi Harrison, MD
Injuries sustained during ice hockey are fairly common. In my orthopedic practice, I have treated ho...
4 Sports Safety Tips for Kids
4 Sports Safety Tips for Kids