What parts of the neck are most susceptible to sports injuries?

Levi Harrison, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Any part of the spine can be injured in sports. I have commonly treated people with injuries to the lumbar (lower back) and cervical spine from sports injuries. Often, the type of activity or sport performed will determine the level and type of spine injury. Muscle and ligament strains to the neck and lower back are common injuries that I have seen in my orthopedic practice. 
The small ligaments and muscles of the neck are most likely to be injured. Using the top of the head for contact makes the vertebrae susceptible to injury.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Alabama Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Sports Injuries

This Blood Test Can Check for Brain Injuries
 A couple of seasons ago, 35 of 288 players in the Swedish Hockey League suffered concussions in the first half of their season! That’s when the Swede...
How can I prevent winter sports injuries?
Rose Medical CenterRose Medical Center
The best way to prevent a winter sports injury is to be prepared. Importantly, if you have a previou...
What is a type of surgery for tennis elbow?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
One type of surgery for tennis elbow is the Tenex Health technique. It has the following benefits: ...
How Can Runners Prevent Injury?
How Can Runners Prevent Injury?