What neck position should a football player have during impact?

cA football player should have his head up when tackling. This position means his facemask will line up with the other player’s chest. When the head is up, the bones and ligaments in the neck can absorb more force. This lowers the chance of injury to the vertebrae or spinal cord.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Alabama Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Sports Injuries

Ways to Prevent Sports Injuries in Kids and Teens
What do football Hall-of-Fame running back Jim Brown, baseball Hall-of-Fame pitcher Sandy Kofax and NBA championship player and coach Pat Riley have i...
What should I do if a child is injured while playing sports?
St. David’s HealthCareSt. David’s HealthCare
As soon as a child is injured while playing sports, appropriate action should be taken. For treatmen...
How important is rehabilitation if I have a sports injury?
Dr. Kristofer J. Jones, MDDr. Kristofer J. Jones, MD
If you have a sports injury, supervised rehabilitation is extremely important to the overall recover...
4 Sports Safety Tips for Kids
4 Sports Safety Tips for Kids