What are the most common sports-related injuries in women?

Fred C. Redfern, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
ACL tear is one of the most common sports injuries in women, says Fred Redfern, MD, an orthopedic surgeon at Sunrise Hospital. In this video, he discusses what anatomical differences may cause this. 
That's a great question! Common sports injuries in women often depend on the age and type of sport. Young women are known to be more prone to knee issues like pain behind the kneecap, dislocating kneecaps and ACL tears than their male counterparts, which is particularly common in soccer and basketball. In my practice, I see a lot of women, both young and adult, with stress fractures. Many factors can lead to developing stress fractures, but bone density, hormones (estrogen), calories and diet, and other issues that affect women more than men can lead to a higher risk of stress fractures. 
Jennifer A. Baima, MD
Neuromuscular Medicine
Mild ankle sprain, when there is acute stretching of the ligaments on the outside of the ankle joint, is more common in women. An ACL tear also is more common in women. The ACL, or anterior cruciate ligament, is a band of collagen that helps to stabilize the knee joint and stretching of the ligament or a tear can occur even without contact injury in sport. In young female athletes, stress fractures are more common. Stress fractures are tiny breaks that occur when bone is weak from too much activity, not enough nutrients, or a hormonal imbalance. Since these three symptoms are all related, we call this the female athlete triad.

Continue Learning about Sports Injuries

How to Avoid 3 Common Kids’ Sports Injuries
When your child signs up for Little League, you know the chances are pretty good they’ll come home with a bump or bruise that you can treat with a lit...
Can my family doctor treat my sports injury?
Dr. George T. Stollsteimer, MDDr. George T. Stollsteimer, MD
If you experience a major sports injury while you're out playing basketball or jogging, often you’ll...
What is a sports injury?
Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RNKaren L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
A sports injury is any injury, acute or chronic, that occurs because of participation in or training...
4 Sports Safety Tips for Kids
4 Sports Safety Tips for Kids