What are the most common sports-related injuries in women?

That's a great question! Common sports injuries in women often depend on the age and type of sport. Young women are known to be more prone to knee issues like pain behind the kneecap, dislocating kneecaps and ACL tears than their male counterparts, which is particularly common in soccer and basketball. In my practice, I see a lot of women, both young and adult, with stress fractures. Many factors can lead to developing stress fractures, but bone density, hormones (estrogen), calories and diet, and other issues that affect women more than men can lead to a higher risk of stress fractures. 

Continue Learning about Sports Injuries

How can I find a football helmet that will prevent concussions?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
There is no concussion-proof helmet. Helmets are used as a shock absorber but are not complete p...
What are the most common types of sports-related injuries in children?
St. David’s HealthCareSt. David’s HealthCare
The most common types of sport-related injuries in children are ankle sprains, shoulder strains, con...
Can focusing on one sport be harmful to a teenager?
Luis Rodriguez, MDLuis Rodriguez, MD
Across the United States, more and more teenagers are focusing on a single, specialized sport or act...
Can my family doctor treat my sports injury?
Dr. George T. Stollsteimer, MDDr. George T. Stollsteimer, MD
If you experience a major sports injury while you're out playing basketball or jogging, often you’ll...