What is jersey finger?

Jersey finger is when a finger is caught in the shirt or jersey of another athlete resulting in a rupture to a flexor tendon at the tip of the finger. Sometimes there is also an associated fracture of a small piece of bone. The individual is unable to bend the injured finger and should see a doctor in order to determine the best course of treatment.
(This answer provided for NATA by the Eastern University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Sports Injuries

How to Avoid 3 Common Kids’ Sports Injuries
When your child signs up for Little League, you know the chances are pretty good they’ll come home with a bump or bruise that you can treat with a lit...
How do I know if I need treatment for a sports injury?
Memorial Hospital of TampaMemorial Hospital of Tampa
Evaluation of your pain over time can help you decide if you need treatment for a sports injury. Cer...
What is a sports injury?
Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RNKaren L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
A sports injury is any injury, acute or chronic, that occurs because of participation in or training...
4 Sports Safety Tips for Kids
4 Sports Safety Tips for Kids