What injuries can I get if I overtrain for a marathon?

“In the months leading up to a marathon, we often see people coming in with overuse injuries because they are ramping up their mileage too quickly,” says David R. McAllister, MD, chief of the Sports Medicine Service in the UCLA Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. Overuse injuries can include patellofemoral pain (runner’s knee), medial tibial stress syndrome (shin splints), and bone-stress reactions or stress fractures.

Continue Learning about Sports Injuries

Ways to Prevent Sports Injuries in Kids and Teens
What do football Hall-of-Fame running back Jim Brown, baseball Hall-of-Fame pitcher Sandy Kofax and NBA championship player and coach Pat Riley have i...
How many children are treated for sports-related injuries in the US?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than 2.6 million children...
What are common winter sports injuries?
Rose Medical CenterRose Medical Center
The most common winter sports injuries affect the knees, but hip, shoulder, elbow and spine injuries...
4 Sports Safety Tips for Kids
4 Sports Safety Tips for Kids