What should I do if a child is injured while playing sports?

As soon as a child is injured while playing sports, appropriate action should be taken. For treatment of simple injuries, apply the R.I.C.E. technique -- rest, ice, compression and elevation -- but never hesitate to take an injured athlete to a hospital.

Even if an injury seems minor, listen to the child. If the child complains of persistent pain following an accident, or if their “minor” injury prevents them from performing at their normal level, it is time to see a doctor. The faster an injury is treated, the faster the body can begin to heal and recover.

This content originally appeared on http://www.livehealthyaustin.com/

Continue Learning about Sports Injuries

How to Avoid 3 Common Kids’ Sports Injuries
When your child signs up for Little League, you know the chances are pretty good they’ll come home with a bump or bruise that you can treat with a lit...
Are overuse injuries preventable?
John Randolph Medical Center - HCA VirginiaJohn Randolph Medical Center - HCA Virginia
Overuse injuries can be prevented by being aware of how your body feels and increasing training slow...
How many children are treated for sports-related injuries in the US?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than 2.6 million children...
4 Sports Safety Tips for Kids
4 Sports Safety Tips for Kids