What should I do if a child is injured while playing sports?

As soon as a child is injured while playing sports, appropriate action should be taken. For treatment of simple injuries, apply the R.I.C.E. technique -- rest, ice, compression and elevation -- but never hesitate to take an injured athlete to a hospital.

Even if an injury seems minor, listen to the child. If the child complains of persistent pain following an accident, or if their “minor” injury prevents them from performing at their normal level, it is time to see a doctor. The faster an injury is treated, the faster the body can begin to heal and recover.

This content originally appeared on http://www.livehealthyaustin.com/

Continue Learning about Sports Injuries

Bike Riding for Your Health: Separating Fact From Fiction
When Miguel Induráin won the Tour de France five times from 1991 to 1995, he may not have had fatherhood on his mind (getting over those Pyrenees was ...
What are the most common types of sports-related injuries in children?
St. David’s HealthCareSt. David’s HealthCare
The most common types of sport-related injuries in children are ankle sprains, shoulder strains, con...
Why are females more at risk for ACL injuries?
Kristen A. Herbst, DOKristen A. Herbst, DO
Females are more at risk for anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury in the knee for a few reasons. ...
4 Sports Safety Tips for Kids
4 Sports Safety Tips for Kids