What can I do for golfer's elbow?

Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
Emergency Room Nursing

After activity, you should ice the area for 20 minutes. This will decrease the inflammation and slow the inflammatory response in this region. Be sure to put something thin between your skin and the ice as you do not want to develop a reaction to the cold. 

If you have golfer's elbow, you should perform a combination of flexibility and strengthening techniques to help your body heal and prevent further injury. Begin by foam rolling your forearm. Foam rolling is a form of self-massage that can help relax tight muscles before you stretch them. Hold the tender spots for 30 seconds to allow your muscle time to relax and release the knots that are causing tension in the muscle. After you have completed the foam rolling, statically stretch the forearm. Hold each stretch for 30 seconds to allow your muscles time to elongate. Next, perform strengthening exercises for the forearm. This can be done by performing wrist curls and wrist extensions to help strengthen the muscles of your forearm. Perform 1-3 sets of 10-15 repetitions of each of these exercises.

Continue Learning about Sports Injuries

What is second impact syndrome?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Second impact syndrome is caused when an athlete returns to play too soon after an initial brain inj...
Should I wear a brace during sports after an MCL sprain?
The use of a brace after an MCL (medial collateral ligament) sprain will be beneficial. The MCL ...
How can I help to protect my children from sports injuries?
Sunrise Children's HospitalSunrise Children's Hospital
Children can protect themselves from sports injuries by taking a break after the season, and engagin...
What is runner's knee?
Runners knee is most often associated with animproper patellofemoral tracking, leg length discrepanc...