What are the benefits of taping an ankle when playing a sport?

Some people tape their ankle to prevent injuries while others use it after they have had an injury. The tape provides extra stability for the ankle. Taping can also make a person more aware of his ankle so he doesn't overdo things. After an ankle injury, the ligaments that support the ankle are stretched out and do not return to their original length. That change in stability can lead to another injury. 

Continue Learning about Sports Injuries

What are common causes of fractures in children?
Medical City Children’s HospitalMedical City Children’s Hospital
Common causes of fractures in children include monkey bars as the number one cause, trampolines are ...
Why is age-appropriate care for sports injuries essential?
Overland Park Regional Medical CenterOverland Park Regional Medical Center
One of the benefits of sports medicine doctors is they have the training and experience to know when...
How can I prevent injuries if I am a runner?
Chippenham Hospital - HCA VirginiaChippenham Hospital - HCA Virginia
There are exercises that all runners can do at home in just a few minutes each day to help prevent i...
What are the warning signs of tennis elbow?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
A warning sign of tennis elbow is pain on the outer part of the elbow. This pain can occur when you ...