How can I treat runner's knee or tennis elbow?

For tennis elbow, runner's knee and similar injuries, try R.I.C.E.—rest, ice, compression and elevation. Rest means that the injured area is not put through any undue strain. When icing a body part, apply the ice in a covering so that it is not in direct contact with the skin. A cotton handkerchief covering the ice is helpful. Ice the affected area several times a day, for about 20 minutes at a time. Compression is applying pressure to the injured area to stop bleeding (if any is occurring) or to reduce swelling. Elevation helps in these respects as well. Compression and elevation are to be used in the case of acute injuries, such as a twisted ankle.

These conditions fall into a category of what we call overuse syndromes. They can become chronic problems and can be very difficult to get to go away. The mainstay of treatment is rest, eliminating the repetitive stress that is creating the inflammation causing the pain. Other adjuncts to rest and activity modification such as bracing and anti-inflammatory medications can help as well. Once rest has settled things down, treatment is typical transitioned to a specific type of therapy/exercise called “eccentric” strengthening.

Continue Learning about Sports Injuries

Ways to Prevent Sports Injuries in Kids and Teens
What do football Hall-of-Fame running back Jim Brown, baseball Hall-of-Fame pitcher Sandy Kofax and NBA championship player and coach Pat Riley have i...
What causes an ACL injury?
Brent W. D'arc, MDBrent W. D'arc, MD
The ACL is is one of the main ligaments in the knee and it generally becomes injured when torn. In t...
What are common muscles injured in ice hockey?
Levi Harrison, MDLevi Harrison, MD
Injuries sustained during ice hockey are fairly common. In my orthopedic practice, I have treated ho...
4 Sports Safety Tips for Kids
4 Sports Safety Tips for Kids