How can a brace help treat tennis elbow?

When you have symptoms of lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow), wearing a brace can help you feel better. The brace takes some of the pressure off of where the tendon attaches to the bone, which can make people feel better.

There are literally hundreds of different varieties of braces, and some of them are better than others. Fit is important: Some are too tight, which might make you feel like your circulation is cut off, while others might be too loose and flop around when you're playing tennis or any other sport.

Therefore, it’s important to get one that fits well, has Velcro and a little bit of softness to make it comfortable to wear.  Many people now use full-length elbow sleeves, which can give you some added, gentle compression and cover more of the muscles towards the wrist.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

It's common for athletes doing racquet sports and fencing to wear a band around their elbows. The strap changes the effective insertion point of the muscles of the forearm, which reduces the stress on the muscles.

This answer provided for NATA by the Gustavus Adolphus College Athletic Training Education Program.

Continue Learning about Sports Injuries

3 Common Kids’ Sports Injuries
3 Common Kids’ Sports Injuries
When your child signs up for Little League, you know he’ll come home with the occasional bump or bruise that you can easily treat with a little love a...
What are the warning signs of tennis elbow?
I have had tennis elbow before and it hurt! Since I don't play too much tennis, I had the most pain ...
What are the most common types of sports-related injuries in children?
St. David’s HealthCareSt. David’s HealthCare
The most common types of sport-related injuries in children are ankle sprains, shoulder strains, con...
What Causes Hip Pain?
What Causes Hip Pain?