How can I prevent winter sports injuries?

The best way to prevent a winter sports injury is to be prepared. Importantly, if you have a previous joint injury that hasn’t properly healed, you’re at a higher risk for injury. Strenuous activity on a poorly healed joint can aggravate the injury and lead to long-term damage.

Before you get started with your activity, stretch and warm up your muscles and exercise to get in shape before the season starts. Always wear protective gear like helmets, pads and braces, especially if you’ve had a previous injury. And know your limits—don’t challenge yourself too much or take unnecessary risks.

Continue Learning about Sports Injuries

A 20-Minute Warm Up Could Be the Difference Between Injury and Performance
A good warm up pre-workout is something most people skip, but science says you should make time for it. If rolling your ankle or tweaking your shoulde...
How many children are treated for sports-related injuries in the US?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than 2.6 million children...
How do I know if I need treatment for a sports injury?
Memorial Hospital of TampaMemorial Hospital of Tampa
Evaluation of your pain over time can help you decide if you need treatment for a sports injury. Cer...
How Can Runners Prevent Injury?
How Can Runners Prevent Injury?