Can my family doctor treat my sports injury?

Dr. George T. Stollsteimer, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon

If you experience a major sports injury while you're out playing basketball or jogging, often you’ll know right away that something very bad has happened to you and you need to see a specialist. If it's something a little less worrisome or a little more nagging, then you should rest a little bit, put ice on the injury, maybe take a little anti-inflammatory medicine and seek the advice of your family doctor. If things aren't getting better within a reasonable amount of time, whatever you consider that to be, it may be time to go see a specialist.

Continue Learning about Sports Injuries

How to Avoid 3 Common Kids’ Sports Injuries
How to Avoid 3 Common Kids’ Sports Injuries
When your child signs up for Little League, you know the chances are pretty good they’ll come home with a bump or bruise that you can treat with a lit...
Read More
Does safety equipment help or hinder in the prevention of concussions?
Harry G. Kerasidis, MDHarry G. Kerasidis, MD
There’s no such thing as a “concussion-proof” helmet. The helmet may protect the exterior of the sku...
More Answers
How many children are treated for sports-related injuries in the US?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than 2.6 million children...
More Answers
4 Sports Safety Tips for Kids
4 Sports Safety Tips for Kids

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.