Can my family doctor treat my sports injury?

Dr. George T. Stollsteimer, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon

If you experience a major sports injury while you're out playing basketball or jogging, often you’ll know right away that something very bad has happened to you and you need to see a specialist. If it's something a little less worrisome or a little more nagging, then you should rest a little bit, put ice on the injury, maybe take a little anti-inflammatory medicine and seek the advice of your family doctor. If things aren't getting better within a reasonable amount of time, whatever you consider that to be, it may be time to go see a specialist.

Continue Learning about Sports Injuries

Bike Riding for Your Health: Separating Fact From Fiction
When Miguel Induráin won the Tour de France five times from 1991 to 1995, he may not have had fatherhood on his mind (getting over those Pyrenees was ...
What causes tennis elbow and golfer's elbow?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
Tennis elbow is a common injury that involves the outer part of the elbow. But most people that get ...
Does safety equipment help or hinder in the prevention of concussions?
Harry G. Kerasidis, MDHarry G. Kerasidis, MD
There’s no such thing as a “concussion-proof” helmet. The helmet may protect the exterior of the sku...
4 Sports Safety Tips for Kids
4 Sports Safety Tips for Kids