Can my family doctor treat my sports injury?

Dr. George T. Stollsteimer, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon

If you experience a major sports injury while you're out playing basketball or jogging, often you’ll know right away that something very bad has happened to you and you need to see a specialist. If it's something a little less worrisome or a little more nagging, then you should rest a little bit, put ice on the injury, maybe take a little anti-inflammatory medicine and seek the advice of your family doctor. If things aren't getting better within a reasonable amount of time, whatever you consider that to be, it may be time to go see a specialist.

Continue Learning about Sports Injuries

How to Avoid 3 Common Kids’ Sports Injuries
When your child signs up for Little League, you know the chances are pretty good they’ll come home with a bump or bruise that you can treat with a lit...
Does safety equipment help or hinder in the prevention of concussions?
Harry G. Kerasidis, MDHarry G. Kerasidis, MD
There’s no such thing as a “concussion-proof” helmet. The helmet may protect the exterior of the sku...
How many children are treated for sports-related injuries in the US?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than 2.6 million children...
4 Sports Safety Tips for Kids
4 Sports Safety Tips for Kids