Why do weight lifters wear belts when they work out?

The belts that weight lifters wear when they work out are used to increase stability in their spine and lower back muscles. Along with spinal stabilization, the belts also increase intra-abdominal pressure. You can think of this like adding an extra set of abdominal muscles. The benefits to this increased spinal stability and intra-abdominal pressure is that it allows the weight lifter to ultimately use heavier weights than they could without the belt and be safer while lifting these heavy weights. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Can a general strength program be used by young track athletes?
Until more research can be done, safety standards suggest that athletes aged 15 years or less sh...
How can I help my kids play sports without burning out?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Playing sports brings many benefits, such as improved fitness and better social skills. But pressure...
My shoulder muscles feel like they are burning, how do I prevent this?
This burning sensation you are referring to is the build-up of lactic acid in the muscles. As the in...
Why do I tense up at the end of my sprint?
It is quite common for you to try too hard as you finish a sprint. Your desire to perform well can h...